Having crunched code over the weekend, it feels odd that Monday is my first day back. Despite the strange feeling, I set to work obliterating my backlog of emails, sorting out the work for the next two weeks and getting some key issues resolved in the engine. I have sent code off to Simon to add shadows to the Construction Kit and a new version to Rick so he can make some nice videos about the new Vegetation Pack.
Still the best news is the massive memory savings I made by loading the HUGE textures used by the engine into GPU Video Memory. The consequence is that I can make seriously large levels now and the system memory creeps up very slowly compared to the old version. I have ideas to make even more savings too, but as much as I want to chase that particular tiger down, the elephant in the room (performance) remains the highest on my personal snag list. I will be running a demo of Reloaded on an Ultrabook in exactly two weeks time in the biggest developer conference on the planet, and I don't want egg on my face. Yes I will be saving face, but you will be getting some serious performance boon as a result so I think we both win.