Wednesday 4 June 2014

Watch Out - Zombie Cop!

Another good day of work today, with some improvements to overall terrain shader rendering speed by adding a technique which saves frames on the fact that more distant pixels need less detail, and by switching to a shader technique that only did what was needed at a distant point we gain FPS. It's not the 'double' frame rate I was hoping for, far from it, but it's a measurable boost and I'm having it.

Also managed to solve the export issues for the new characters coming to Reloaded soon so we're one less obstacle from release here. I have included a shot from my testing. Ugly fellow ain't he?


A batch of other issues have also been dealt with and an internal build has been created in advance of showing our internal alpha testers.  I anticipate one more build and then we might have something we can proudly call a HOT FIX aka V1.0071.

My Live Interview starts at 8PM so I have some time to walk the dog, grab a bite and practice looking 'knowledgeable' in the mirror.  Before that though, I have to check out a few trees now we have a new tree collision system I need to check a few dozen of them. Make sure I cannot put my head through 'em :)

For those interested in the live show, be here at 8PM BST: 

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c45mt1hcdiph2ak25n8613lskgc

14 comments:

  1. Lee just wanted to ask . Are you guys planning on going back to a so script where the character and walk chase swim and peak or will there always be separate models for peaking ? Just wondering I love the idea of enemies chasing you down no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Lee! answered alot of good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee. The Intel live meeting was brilliant and thanks for answering my questions on dynamic shadows and VR. You did a great job talking about Reloaded and the road ahead. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the characters export fix the problem I'm have with my characters being export from fragmotion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance of a written word of the Interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No written transcript of the interview, but it was recorded for prosperity here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c45mt1hcdiph2ak25n8613lskgc

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can also see the live show here:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3q_HKGPSc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a quick question, should I be able to scroll through multiple guns if I have picked up more than one gun? It appear I am unable to select other guns after the original I picked up, this includes creating a new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried pressing the number keys? I can't remember if you can actually scroll or not and in general Reloaded uses quite old-fashioned gameplay (though it's getting better).

      Delete
    2. As a matter of fact, I have used number keys to no avail. I have noticed the bug only in the last few builds. I'm yet to try it on beta 00071 but the issue seems deeper. I can open a level, pick up a weapon and then the program seems to cache the selected weapon to be the only weapon available. All other ammunition and weapons seem to be disregarded even when I create a new level. The 'cached' weapon is reset upon reinitialising the program.

      Delete
  9. Seems everything has to be zombie related these days,never mind i can wait for some normal characters .Nice work on the engine team.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite x9 model packs was actually the Modern one. It had like a cleaning lady, police, security, civilian and more. Non-zombified.

    ReplyDelete